Teaching Excellence and Achievement Program (TEA) 2016
Deadline: March 27, 2015
The Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy is pleased to announce a call for applications for the Teaching Excellence and Achievement Program (TEA). This program will provide Cambodian teachers with unique opportunities to develop expertise in their subject areas, enhance their teaching skills, and increase their knowledge of the United States.
TEA consists of a six-week non-degree, non-credit customized academic program including seminars on new teaching methodologies, curriculum development, lesson planning, and instructional technology. Participants will also participate in a practicum in a U.S. secondary school near their host university to work closely with U.S. teachers and teach and present to U.S. students. Cultural enrichment, mentoring, and support will be provided throughout the program. The international participants will travel to the United States in two cohorts of approximately 80 teachers each in spring (January – March) or fall (September – November) 2016.
Upon returning home, TEA program alumni are eligible to apply for small grants for essential teaching materials, follow-on training for other teachers, collaborative projects between schools in their home country and the United States, and other activities that build on their U.S. experience.
Teaching disciplines for the TEA Program are:
- English or English as a Foreign Language (EFL)
- Social Studies (social studies, civics, history, geography, etc.)
- Special Education teachers in the disciplines listed above
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Be current secondary school-level, full-time teachers in a school that serves a primarily local (not expatriate) population;
- Have five or more years of classroom experience in TEA teaching disciplines: English, EFL, Social Studies, Mathematics, Science, or Special Education;
- Be citizens of and residents in Cambodia;
- Have earned a bachelor’s degree or equivalent;
- Obtain a minimum score of 450 on paper based TOEFL or equivalent English language examination*; and
- Demonstrate a commitment to continue teaching after completion of the program;
* A limited number of participants with TOEFL scores between 425 and 450, or equivalent, will be accepted for the program into a special cohort with additional English language training included in the professional development program.
Please note that this is a program for practicing teachers of Cambodian students. Ministry of Education officials, full-time principals or educational administrators, full-time teacher trainers, university faculty, private English language tutors, and teachers from schools primarily serving expatriates are not eligible.
- March 27, 2015: Deadline of Application
- Late April 2015: Interviews for shortlisted candidates
- May 30, 2015: TOEFL iBT test
- June 15, 2015: Embassy submits nominees to IREX
- July – August 2015: ECA and IREX review and confirm nominees
- Late September 2015: Finalists confirm acceptance of award, sign and submit all necessary documents.
For Cohort I:
November 2015: Visa interviews and attend Pre-Departure Orientation (PDO)
Late January 2016: Fellows arrive in U.S.
For Cohort II:
July 2016: Visa interviews and attend Pre-Departure Orientation (PDO)
September 2016: Fellows arrive in U.S.
Required Documents (Application Package)
There are two ways you can submit your application: hardcopy or online.
Applicants must submit the original hardcopy application and two complete copies (total of three copies). Each copy of the application should be submitted in the following order:
- Application. Click here to download (PDF).
- Completed Institutional Support and Reference Form. Click here to download (PDF).
- A copy of your passport (if available).
For application instructions, click here to download (PDF).
- To apply online, please visit our implementing partner, IREX here.
- Online application guide, click here to download (PDF).
English Language Proficiency
Interested applicants who do not already have a valid TOEFL score of 450 or above should plan to take the TOEFL ITP at the Royal University of Phnom Penh (RUPP).
For registration, please contact:
EducationUSA Advising Center
Room 103, Building A
Royal University of Phnom Penh
Tel: 023 884 320
Instructions & Submission Guidelines
- Please answer all questions on the application.
- Please type or print in black ink.
- If a question does not apply to you, enter “N/A” (Not Applicable).
- Include your full, legal name as spelled on your passport (if available) or other photo identification.
- Include complete contact information (House number, street number, khum/sangkat, srok/khan, city/province).
- Write your full name, city, and country in the top right corner of each page.
- You may attach additional pages if necessary to answer the questions completely.
- Please indicate in which cohort (Cohort I or Cohort II of 2016) you would prefer to participate in. (Please note that every effort will be made to accommodate your first choice; however, applicants will be considered for both cohorts and placement in your first choice is not guaranteed.)
Institutional Support and Reference Form (ISRF)
- The “characteristics” section must be completed by the applicant’s supervisor (i.e., school director). A family member may not complete the reference form. Please provide an English translation if it is not written in English (informal translation is acceptable).
- The “recommendation letter” section must also be completed by the applicant’s supervisor.
- The ISRF must be signed by the school director. This will confirm that the school supports your participation in this program.
- If you’re completing the application online, the ISRF is still required for applicants. There is a section within the online application where you are prompted to print the form. You then need to upload the completed form and reference to the same section of the application for it to be considered “complete.” The Online Application System will not let you submit your application without uploading the ISRF.
For more information about TEA Program, please visit TEA’s website.
Deadline for submission: March 27, 2015
Submission of Application
For hardcopy application, please return the completed application package (one original and two photocopies) to:
Mr. Socheat Ou
Public Affairs Specialist
Public Affairs Section
Embassy of the United States of America
#1, Street 96, Sangkat Wat Phnom, Khan Daun Penh, Phnom Penh
If you are submitting the application online, you are not required to submit the application and supporting documents to the U.S. Embassy.
English Language Test
For information about TOEFL ITP registration, please contact:
Royal University of Phnom Penh
Educational Advising Center, Room 103
Tel: 023 884 320
Educational Development Institute (EDI)
The Westline School
#22E Street 51, corner street 154
Sangkat Phsar Thmei 3
Khan Daun Penh, Phnom Penh
For information about TOEFL iBT registration, please contact:
American Intercon Institute (AII) & American Intercon School (AIS)
No. 217ABCD, Mao Tse Toung (Street. 245) Boulevard, Phnom Penh
Phone: 023 223 295 / 221 222
The Westline School
No. 22E, Pasteur (Street. 51), corner of Dekcho Damdin (Street. 154), Phnom Penh
Tel: 023 992 727
BELTEI International Institute
#57, Corner of Street 217 and 290, Sangkat Tuol Svay Prey 2, Khan Chamkarmon
Tel: 023 999958 / 077 775427
Dewey International University
Romchek 4 Village, Sangkat Rattanak, Battambang
Tel: 053 6373747
ELT - English Language Training Institute
#5-13, Street 136, Sangkat Phsar Thmeii III, Khan Daun Penh, Phnom Penh
Tel: +855 (0)23 426 422 / +855 (0)23 216 422
HP: +855 (0)12 872 630 / +855 (0) 12931817
IIG Education Cambodia
1st floor, #35-37, Street 214, Sangkat Boeung Raing, Khan Daun Penh, Phnom Penh
Tel: 023 220 545
For information about the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), please contact:
#657, Kampuchea Krom Boulevard, Phnom Penh
Phone: 023 881 026 / 881 027
Fax: 023 881 020
Australian Centre for Education (ACE)
896 High School Road, Wat Bo Village, Sala Kamreuk Commune, Siem Reap
Phone: 063 964 320
#N6, Street 574 Beoung Kak II, Toul Kork, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Tel: 855-12 961-861 or 855-15-961-861